Generally speaking, an internship serves as an extension of the higher education experience. This is a short-term work experience that a college student can undertake to not only achieve credit but create connections, expand their network, and perhaps land full-time work in the future. The opportunities are seemingly endless for ambitious interns, though it’s important to know what to expect beforehand. Given that these opportunities are often provided by digital marketing agencies, a sense of preparedness should be a given. This will help you get the most out of your digital marketing internship.
Before accepting a digital marketing internship offer, however, understand that every company is different. This is true in regard to the hours that they provide interns, as well as the specific day-to-day tasks that must be completed. Furthermore, while certain internship opportunities are on-site, others are remote; the latter have become especially commonplace following the COVID-19 pandemic, since many businesses shifted their efforts from traditional office environments. For a better understanding of how to get the most out of your internship opportunity, here are 5 things to expect.
1. Duties That Expand With Time – Starting out, you may find your digital marketing internship tasks to be rudimentary. From answering phones to scheduling appointments, busywork is part and parcel of many internships. Don’t let this deter you, however, as you may find your duties expanding depending on the quality of your work. If you prove yourself as a reliable worker, your superiors may task you with more intricate, involved tasks including content creation and social media outreach. While your tasks are likely to be mundane at the onset, don’t expect this to be an ongoing theme with your digital marketing internship.
2. A Collaborative Environment – Another commonality shared among digital marketing internships is collaboration. As a social media agency intern, you have the opportunity to work with other specialists and experts in the field. These include, but aren’t limited to, account managers, content creators, and website developers. Given the aforementioned expanding tasks that interns will have, it stands to reason that said interns work alongside others to ensure said tasks are completed. Collaboration is effective for not only high-quality work but the ability for interns to learn on the job.
3. The Development of Leadership Skills – As you continue to learn on the job, you will find yourself taking ownership of your work. This is just one of the many attributes workplace and industry leaders are defined by. Leadership is a skill that’s developed in time and through work alike. In other words, just because one has worked in a location for years doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re qualified to lead. True leadership comes from how one tackles problems, completes assignments, and interacts with fellow team members. Via their digital marketing internship opportunity, an intern has the ability to become a better leader.
4. An Opportunity to Network – When an intern works with their superiors, they are, at the same time, building a network. One of the reasons this is useful is that it helps forge professional relationships. These are especially useful in the future, as interns graduate from their respective colleges and universities before looking into job opportunities. It’s not unfathomable for a former intern to consult a place where they worked for a recommendation. This is just one of the ways in which networking helps and it adds to the value digital marketing internships offer.
5. College Credit and More – As previously stated, interns are undertaken mainly due to college credit. However, this isn’t to say that this is all that a digital marketing internship – or an internship in any industry, for that matter – can offer. Work opportunities, both short and long-term, can be provided to interns that go above and beyond. These are also afforded to individuals that have been known to be trustworthy. It also doesn’t hurt that companies cut down on time spent training when interns are hired. If you perform at a high level, other prospects may arise.
With this information in mind, you will be able to get the most out of your digital marketing internship opportunity. Whether it leads to full-time work or not, there’s no denying the value that this has to one’s college or university experience. Are you curious about taking on an internship opportunity in the next semester or year? Research marketing agencies in your area to see what’s available.
About fishbat: fishbat is a full-service Long Island SEO, branding, and digital marketing company that takes a holistic business approach to their clients’ digital marketing programs. The fishbat team understands the importance of business principles just as well as the nuances of the latest digital technologies. fishbat offers every digital marketing service available from digital marketing research and planning to brand development to website and asset creation through social media management and search engine optimization programs – all custom calibrated for both B2B and B2C businesses.